Date Founded: 1879
Membership/Number of Clergy: ~100,000/0 The church has no clergy. Lay Readers lead each congregation.
Headquarters: The First Church of Christ, Scientist, 210 Massachusetts Ave., Boston, MA 02115
Schools & Seminaries: None
Core Beliefs: There is a very useful paper aimed at ecumenical understanding of Christian Science beliefs.
These are the basic tenets enumerated by Mary Baker Eddy.
1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God's image and likeness.
3. We acknowledge God's forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
4. We acknowledge Jesus' atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man's unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
6. And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.
Short History: Founded by Mary Baker Eddy in 1879 in Boston, MA. In 1875 she published Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, her understanding of the metaphysical healing which was contained in scripture. Eddy ordained the Bible and her book as the pastor of the church. This is why there are no clergy, but Readers who read the weekly lesson in the Sunday service. The same lesson is used in all churches. Mid-week meetings consist of members and others telling how Christian Science has provided healing in their lives.
Local Churches: There are two Christian Science churches in Louisville, First Church at 1305 S 3rd St., (at Ormsby) Louisville, Kentucky 40208 and Second Church at 4125 Shelbyville Rd Louisville, Kentucky 40207. If you live on campus, Second Church is closer.